Information for Students

images of students interacting with faculty

The Student Conflict Resolution Center works with students to resolve university-based problems and concerns. Our staff provide confidential, impartial, and informal options for resolving conflicts in a fair manner. 

To the right is a list of some of the most common areas of concerns we hear from students. Refer to our DIY Resources for common University-based problems.

For more information about creating an institutional culture of graduate student advising excellence at the University, please visit

Ombud Standards

  • CONFIDENTIAL: SCRC is a confidential resource. We do not contact anyone without your consent. The only exception is if we believed someone was in danger based on information we received. 
  • IMPARTIAL: The Ombud is not a representative of any party. We are here to help facilitate an agreement by the parties.
  • INDEPENDENT: SCRC maintains, by charter, its independence from the University. The Student Conflict Resolution Center is funded by student services fees.
  • INFORMAL: The Ombud does not participate in any formal proceeding in any way – the Ombud will not participate in grievance hearings, student discipline appeals, or litigation. It is important to note that the Student Conflict Resolution Center and Office of the Ombud is not an office of notice within the University community.


The process starts with a confidential conversation about the issue. We'll want to know what has happened, what action you’ve taken thus far,  and what outcome you are looking to achieve. We’ll brain-storm options with you and develop a personalized plan of action for going forward. It is your decision as to how to proceed.