Help for Students

The Student Conflict Resolution Center is available to assist you in resolving campus-based problems or concerns.

Expand all

Can you help me?

We work with all students, from first-year to post-doctorate.

What areas of concern can you help me with?

We can help you with ANY campus-based problem or concern. The typical areas we see are:

  • Grading and instructional complaints,
  • Financial and billing conflicts,
  • Academic petitions and appeals,
  • Graduate and professional student issues,
  • Academic progress issues,
  • Roommate conflicts,
  • Other campus-based problems or concerns.

What happens when I contact SCRC?

The process starts with a confidential conversation about the issue. We'll want to know what has happened, what action you’ve taken thus far, and what outcome you are looking to achieve. We’ll brain-storm options with you and develop a personalized plan of action for going forward.

Will you do anything without my permission?

Except in extraordinary situations, we will never do anything without your knowledge and consent. It is your decision as to how to proceed.

What are some of the services you provide to help resolve the complaint?

We typically offer:

  • Consultation and coaching
  • Identifying options and resources
  • Contacting others on a student’s behalf
  • Research and interpret relevant policies and procedures
  • Facilitated conversations
  • Liaison with other University individuals and offices.

When should I call for help?

The longer you wait and avoid working on resolving a situation, the more difficult it can be to reach a resolution. Problems are best dealt with in the semester in which they occur. You may face appeal deadlines that might make your window of opportunity to act even shorter. If you are in doubt, call. If it is something that can wait, we can assist you in making that decision.

Does it really help?

Over 90 percent of the students who use SCRC report being very satisfied or satisfied with the services.

Do you charge anything for your services?

All of the services of SCRC are free, paid for completely by your student services fee. 

Are you really confidential?

Unless we learn about a threat to yourself or someone else, or we are ordered by a court, we will not break confidentiality.

Aren't you really just a part of the University?

While we are a university department, we have a Charter with the university that allows us to remain free from university interference when working to resolve your concern. Our Ombuds work impartially, neither representing your interests nor the university's; our interest is in helping the people involved find a resolution in a fair manner.